February 17, 2011

Silver Lining With a Splash of Petrol

Oh my rainclouds,
it is a serious thunderstorm up in here! 
Hail, sunshine, more hail, and lots and lots of rain poureth down on Northern California this day. 

But you know what they say.....there's always a silver lining to every cloud
But who said such a thing in the first place? 

It isn't exactly clear but Wikipedia confirms it's an expression, a metaphor for optimism - but what's even more interesting, as you read further down their page, Silver Lining was the name of a Law & Order episode. And you know, I've concluded that I like L & O. But not Criminal Intent or any of those other hundreds of versions out there, no, just Law & Order SVU. What with all that suspense, and cool noise they make in between scenes, I see now why my family is hooked.

But I digress - see what rain does to a  person! 

So what kind of a silver lining are we talking about anyway? 

Our fireplace.

Yep, that magnificent brick structure that contains a fire breathing bundle of logs carefully purchased at our local CalMart for $9. 
(can you even believe such a thing!? 
$9 for a bundle of wood - outrageous!)

Now you can't have a $9 bundle of logs without a snazzy husband to light them! 
And let me tell you, Brian is a master at this craft (no gasoline or other illegal starters required). All those years boy scouting around have served him well.

And I'm right there to ensure that the orange and red flames maintain their fiery glow. 

But I didn't learn such skills in girl scouts or any other formal setting. Instead I gained my dexterity from my clever father who from an early age showed me how to carefully build bonfires using pallets, old sheds, a small tire or two and plenty of gasoline. Talk about ultimate D.I.Y.!!!

This evening, in our lovely apartment in the town of Tiburon we shall enjoy our swell fireplace as we readily welcome days like this that just beg for a warm hearth
(without the petrol, OK, well maybe just a dash....)

Looking forward to lightin' this baby up later!

2 comments:

  1. ahhh! so jealous! the fireplace is my favorite thing about my parents' house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a bonus in our new place! We'll have to have you up soon so you can enjoy it with us :)

    ReplyDelete