March 14, 2011

Take Heed

The recent events in Japan are more than heart-wrenching, words can barely describe the horrible tragedy taking place there. Our prayers and thoughts of hope and healing go out to all those suffering. 

With forewarning of the approaching tsunami wave headed for the West Coast, Brian and I were surprised by a certain sight on our way into work on Friday morning and the revealing behaviors of humans. 

As we scooted along Tiburon's main road headed for the 101 freeway, we noticed a large gathering of gawking, touristy-like folks fixing their attention on the Richardson Bay. With ease we slowed our vehicle, mostly in response to those in front of us, who too, were also trying to figure out what these people could possibly be looking at. 

We quickly realized that with cameras in hand, they were waiting, watching for that tsunami wave to impose upon our shores. 

Ummmm.....

I'm no expert in all things MacGyver, but common sense tells me that if there is a tsunami warning or any other natural disaster alert you do not go to the very place in which such an event might occur. I repeat, you DO NOT go towards the danger. 

Perhaps it's the world we live in today, the up-to-the-minute YouTube clips, Tweets and FB posts; everyone wants to be credited with being the 'first' to report a scene. However, when presented with a potentially life-threatening scenario I'll always choose flight over fight. 

Case in point

Whilst enjoying an everyday, normal taxi ride one evening in the city of Accra, Ghana, Brian and I were no more than 1 mile from our apartment when danger sprung out of nowhere. 

I, sitting in the back, Brian in the front passenger seat, promptly noticed the dashboard lights go dark. With no warning, smoke began to emit from all vents; so naturally, I reacted. 

Despite the vehicle still moving at a good clip I jumped from the taxi. I didn't even flinch,without a thought, my body responded as if I'd be training for such an event to take place while living abroad in Africa.

I ran down the road a ways, making sure I created a good distance between myself and the car. As I glanced back, assuming Brian had immediately followed suit, I realized that he was still in the vehicle! 

Oh my goodness! What kind of a wife was I!? 
I quickly ran back to the car to save him from the threatening doom, realizing his passenger door wouldn't unlock. 

By this point the car had come to a full stop and I swiftly flung open his door to release him from the danger. Without hesitation he yelled, "What the heck are you doing? You just jumped from a moving vehicle?!"

I was confused by his confusion. 
However, quickly taking in the fact that the dashboard smoke didn't amount to the treacherous explosion I had envisioned in my mind, I could kind of see where he was coming from. 

Fortunately, we were not that far from our apartment, so we paid the taxi driver for his services as he phoned for assistance and we walked home.

End case in point.

A few things can be gathered from this scenario:
1. I choose flight, literally

2. Brian assesses the situation, builds a strategic analysis in his brain on the pros and cons of each potential outcome and then chooses the most rational route 
(all of which he later revealed to me and as long as the door isn't locked)

3. At the end of the day we generally come to the same conclusion, we just have our different methods of getting there 

All in all, if you are ever presented with a potential dangerous situation, heed any warnings available to you and don't go towards the danger. 

Sadly however, life doesn't always play out like this and even with forewarning, devastation still occurs. Let's take action for those who were impacted by the Japanese earthquake and pour out our hearts for their suffering. 

Here are some ways to contribute to the relief efforts: 

 Text: REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10
 Give: Red Cross
Information: Google Crisis Response

No comments:

Post a Comment