September 11, 2009

Ghana: Land of Meat Filled Everything

"Excuse me but do you happen to have veggie samosas?"
"Yes."
"And there's no meat in there?"
"No."
"Ok, we'll take two of those and the fruit salad."

We take our lunches back to the office and I dig into my fruit salad. Next, I take a bite out of my veg samosa....oh, wait, what's this? Is this a meat samosa? Here you go Brian, here's another one for you.....

I ordered a fruit salad at a different lunch spot a few days ago and the woman brought me a tuna and lettuce salad.

I chose a dish called 'beans and plantains' last week and asked the waitress if there was any meat in it and she said no. When it arrived there was a big meaty bone sticking out of the beans, I think it was chicken.

We got a butter croissant yesterday and it surprisingly had mayonnaise or some type of custard in the center....not meat but a surprise nonetheless. Even Brian was confused on that one.

It's true that living in Africa and being vegetarian can be perceived as a complete oxymoron. And because we have no means in which to cook food at our hotel room, we are reliant upon what local restaurants have to offer. The tide will soon change once we move but until then....I am at the mercy of meaty Ghana.

I think I was quite fortunate in Nairobi; the diet was familiar and there were plenty of dishes to choose from. There were lots of Indian restaurants and a wide variety of vegetarian dishes. This led to not many questions or laughs when I told folks I was vegetarian. They just looked at me like I was crazy for not eating meat but no biggie ;-)

Early on when Brian and I started dating, he sent me a very special email. That email contained the following image and set me on a course to forever balance out the universe:




You now understand my mission.....

1 comment:

  1. Jalyn! I´m so sorry to hear you are in the Meaty Madness phase of Africa. I hope it ends, soon. And I hope that you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete