May 25, 2010

America: An Idea

Growing up American one is well aware of the American dream. The idea that if you work hard the future will be what you make of it. Sure I've always known this but I don't think I have ever realized the true weight of this potential or that America is more than a country, it is an idea. 

This has been evident here in Kenya in watching and listening to young entrepreneurs who partook in a recent entrepreneurial exchange program with the University of Connecticut. I had the opportunity to answer questions about the US before their departure. Some asked questions about culture, some on climate and others on food and infrastructure. But what floored me most of all was the way people talked about the US. I recall one person saying, "there's one thing you must do before you die and that is go to America." Upon hearing this I felt like crying or singing God Bless America. I mean I'm proud of growing up American but never had I realized what this really meant until I heard Kenyans speak of the land of opportunity. A place to realize dreams and that place is America - wow. 

Sure America has its list of problems like other developed countries but no other country wears a sash that says, 'land of opportunity'. European countries aren't talked about the way America is talked about. It's more than a country it is an idea. 

When the team of 13 young entrepreneurs returned from the US a couple of weeks ago I asked a few of them about their experiences and what they thought about America. I was surprised to hear nothing but positive remarks flowing from their mouths. I had expected a couple of negatives but overall America lived up to the great image they had anticipated. A land of opportunity, the American dream. One guy actually didn't come back, he saw this as his only chance of living the life he wanted. 

So as an American, what is my American dream? I think it can be best summarized in this amazing commencement speech given by Bono (I know of all people, an Irishman!) at UPenn a few years back. After reading this I thought we really have something special here, something that other nations yearn for, other people long to be a part of, so let's not waste our potential: 

American Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment