May 27, 2010

Glad It's Not Malaria

So I've been feeling under the weather since Monday with an incessant cough, runny nose, aching muscles and exhaustion. Today when I thought I should be making my way out of feeling icky I felt worse so I went to the hospital. 

Because Brian is in Uganda his good friend, Steve, another volunteer, came with me to Aga Khan Hospital nearby. We entered the busy waiting area and took a number. In just about 10 minutes the number was called and I filled out a form with my name and contact information. Another 10 minutes later and my name was called again to pick up a card with my name on it and then I was asked to sit on the other side of the room. 

Steve kept me company and got me water while I tried not to hack up a lung. It was about 30 minutes and my number was called by the cashier. The price for the visit was Ksh 1,200 (US$16) which I paid before seeing a doctor or nurse. 

It was another 30 minutes and I was called in to see a nurse who checked my blood pressure and took my temperature. She asked me what was wrong and I told her I felt as though I had the flu. She took some notes and sent me back out to the waiting area. 

About 15 minutes later I was in with the doctor and he looked at my throat, listened to my breathing and immediately ruled out malaria (which is the answer I was hoping he would give me). He said I have a case of the flu and that he's been treating lots of people with the flu for the past couple of days. 

Steve and I were curious to know how could one tell if he/she has malaria? He said you wouldn't have any congestion or sore throat just a fever and body chills. Good to know! 

He wrote me a prescription for some cough medicine and pain reliever which I picked up just around the corner of the waiting room. The cost Ksh 550 (US$7.30). 

After that I headed straight home and slept all afternoon. I'm feeling a bit better tonight and will continue to rest up and drink plenty of fluids tomorrow. 

I thought the process was interesting compared to that of the US and that the total cost about US$23.

Brian returns from Uganda tomorrow night to take care of me - yay :-)

Wikipedia shows us some of the symptoms of malaria:


No comments:

Post a Comment