July 19, 2010

Summertime Hot Cocoa

No it's not lemonade. Nor is it sweet refreshing iced tea. No it isn't even a cold brewsky or thirst quenching water. None of these things occupy the green mug enveloped in my hands in the middle of summer. Instead it is a warm, rich and creamy cup of hot cocoa. While folks in other parts of the country bask in the summer sunshine, here in wintery San Francisco I spend the afternoon making a nice piping hot cup of chocolatey goodness, one because it is so yummy but two (and most importantly) because it is so cold! 

source: Richmond Public Library

Today is one of the cooler days since returning to SF over a week ago now. It is so chilly that the cute little yellow butterfly I found fluttering around our friends apartment had second thoughts about leaving. I saw him floating around the kitchen, let him land on my hand and as I opened a nearby window to allow him to fly away into the wonderful outside world of flora and fauna he began to retreat. Peddling his tiny legs backwards, I could see exactly what he was thinking, 'are you kidding me?' 'You except me to go out there?' I couldn't blame him. So I placed him next to the window leaving it open a crack just in case he changed his mind. 

He was still sitting there last time I checked....

Brian and I got a glimpse of summer yesterday when we visited a friend in Woodside, located about 45 minutes south of the city. Wow it was so warm! I had to leave my scarf and jacket in the car and I probably could have worn shorts had I known about such weather. 

When in Nairobi I used to dream about the cool breezes of SF, envisioning me walking around all trendy like in the city with my trench-coat adorning a colorful scarf. But not in the summertime - what was I thinking! I guess sometimes we tend to remember things all perfect and pristine when we miss them. And now here I am missing Africa. Missing the bigger than life sunrises and sunsets, the laughter of colleagues and friends and the adventure. Now I know Kenya or Ghana weren't perfect and neither is SF but any place you call home will always be remembered with warm fuzzy feel good memories, especially when you are so far from it.  

Picture of a warmer time in our lives on the coast of Ghana

Ghanian sunset

So as I think back fondly on so many wonderful experiences in Africa, the hot blooded mammal sitting next to me spouts, "I'm cold! Feel my arms they are so cold, I'm like freezing!' And sure enough I touch his arm and it was like ice. I go to the kitchen to make him some coffee and hot cocoa for myself and on my way back to the living room I check to see if my little fluttering friend is still sitting near the window only to find that he's gone, off on a new adventure.

Trying to stay warm in SF,
Team Feth

No comments:

Post a Comment