July 15, 2010

Team Feth Walk/Run


There are a lot of things Team Feth has encountered over the past year while living in Africa. Through our adventures we faced adversity, extreme danger while rafting down the Nile (mainly on my part given my fear of water and plunging over waterfalls in a small plastic boat), difficulty maneuvering the sly escape from the sights of a buffalo and many other things like falling in sewer trenches on dimly lit streets and other such calamities. But through all of the hardship we came away knowing each other much better and understanding each other’s limits that much more. 


Basically you can sum us up like this:

Brian
-    Likes taking risks and pulling me along for the ride
-    Likes running
-    Likes winning
-    Likes touching things that look poisonous
-    Likes probing animals with sticks
-    Likes meat, lots of it at one time and often
-    Likes adventure and whatever comes along with it
-    Likes to debate

Brian found this little guy in our hotel room in Uganda, put him in this  glass and stared at him for a while

 Self explanatory

He's kind of a big deal.....

Jalyn
-    Doesn't like taking risks but always goes along with what Brian says because he looks into my eyes and says 'trust me' making it hard to resist
-      Likes walking
-    Likes when everyone wins, especially the underdog
-    Likes only looking at things that are poisonous and would never think to touch them
-    Likes saving animals from Brian’s probing sticks
-    Does not like meat, vegetarian all the way!
-    Likes safe adventure that is well planned out and organized
-    Likes to calmly discuss and share opinions

This is a picture of a Hibiscus flower I took because I am at peace with nature

Here I am holding a cute baby in Kenya

I perceive this as risky behavior

As you can gather from the above, you will see that on many levels Team Feth consists of two opposites. But it is the very fact of us being opposites in certain ways that makes our team work so well. If it weren’t for Brian tricking me into going white water rafting down the Nile I would have never known the challenges I could overcome and what a wonderful experience I would have missed out on. If I weren’t there to protect Brian from himself he would surely be bitten and stung by tons of poisonous snakes and insects.

Returning to San Francisco makes us no different. Of course we aren’t concerned about predators lurking in the trees of Golden Gate Park (not that the thought hasn’t crossed my mind….oh my imagination sometimes!) And generally there are no poisonous creatures slithering around for me to worry about Brian picking and probing (I still need to wikipedia that one just to be sure….)

Yes, we are still opposites in many ways.

Currently living so close to Golden Gate Park, crashing at a friend’s place, we both decided to take advantage of nature and start exercising regularly again. Brian’s a runner and tries hard to convince me to run but I like to take things slow and build up to them. Right now I am what I like to call ‘champion walking’ which is basically walking as fast as I can.

He’s a runner and I’m a walker but together we always finish the race (I know so cliche but I couldn't resist). That’s the most basic way you can sum up this little team of ours and we wouldn’t have it any other way!


For those interested here are Brian’s amazing-awesome-way to go dude running stats:


 

2 comments:

  1. If this were facebook, I'd "Like" this post. Hope you guys are enjoying being back home. Shoutout from Ghana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Baafour! Hope all is well in Ghana - miss ya!

    ReplyDelete