April 8, 2011

First Job Flashback: Electric Hole Puncher

While volunteering today with Equal Rights Advocates, I overheard someone ask their colleague for a hole puncher. The colleague responded questioning whether that person wanted an electric or hand-held hole puncher. 

Suddenly my mind raced back = first job flashback

Did I ever tell you about my first week at my first real job? 

There I was, fresh out of college in my new role as an Accountant at this super great investment management firm in Los Angeles. It was my first week and so far things were going really well, everyone was super nice and I was pretty much in the home stretch; the last few hours of Friday afternoon. 

Little did I know what was in store.

Near my desk was our department's electric hole puncher. Simple enough to use, one would think. All you do is put a few pages into the slot and it automatically punches three holes into the paper. 

Enough said. 

Well I happened to need to use the device that particular afternoon and unfortunately placed one too many pieces of paper into the slot. This resulted in the puncher making a funny grinding noise and my pages getting stuck. Luckily, one of my colleagues came to my aid. 

The following few minutes went a little something like this: 
  • I reached to the side of the table on which the hole puncher was placed and unplugged the machine
  • My colleague pulled out the pages seamlessly
  • I reached over once again to return the plug to the socket 
  • Unbeknownst to me my long hair was dangling over the hole puncher's evil metal clamps
  • Hole puncher hole punched my hair
  • I screamed 
  • My colleague ripped my hair from the clutches of the deadly puncher
  • I looked at my colleague 
  • She looked at me  
  • We both looked down
  • A huge chunk of my hair was lying on the floor next to my foot
  • The room smelled of burnt hair


And there in concluded my first week at my first real job. 

Let's just say they threw me one heck of a going away party when I departed a few years later. It was chock-full of hole punchers. I'm well stocked. 

Do not try this at home people - leave this up to the professionals please



No comments:

Post a Comment